Nurse Practitioner - General and Vascular Surgery - Methodist Hospital - Thomas Jefferson University Hospital - PA
Job ID 9209967
Location Methodist Hospital South Phila
Full/Part Time Full-Time
The Nurse Practitioner is a registered professional who, under the sponsorship of a board certified physician and in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary health team, is responsible for providing comprehensive care to patients at Thomas Jefferson University. The Nurse Practitioner will be able to provide the evaluation, coordination, management and wound care for an identified patient population to achieve high quality care and efficient use of resources. The Nurse Practitioner functions in an expanded role within the guidelines of the Nurse Practice Act, Nursing and Medical Staff Policies and Procedures and in accordance with the Nurse Practitioner clinical protocols.
The major purpose of the position of CRNP in General and Vascular Surgery in the South Philadelphia location (Methodist Office and Hospital) is to care for the patients undergoing surgery under the direction of the attending surgeons. He/she is responsible for the initial assessment and admission of patients to the general and vascular services. Under the direction of the attending physician, the CRNP assists in the evaluation and preparation of the patients for surgery, provide patient care on the floor, discharge from hospital and return follow-up visits in the outpatient office. The CRNP follows standard service protocol in the care of the patient in the absence of the attending physicians.
- Coordinate with referring physician with plan of care
- Pre/Post operative patient preparation, teaching and counseling.
?? Monitor and compile all related test results
?? Ensure all appropriate paperwork is received and prepared prior to surgery
?? Triage all patient calls, review case with physician and respond to patient in a timely manner.
?? Attend patient hours with physician and perform assigned duties
?? Review incoming test results for the practice, review with physician and take appropriate action (i.e. contact patient, schedule additional appointment etc.)
- Postoperative care of patients to include assisting in the management of patients in the hospital under the direction of the attending surgeon.
- Responsible for the management of postoperative patient's continued care for the remainder of their hospitalization.
- Prepare patients for discharge; include providing necessary instructions for medical follow-up after discharge.
- Care for General and Vascular surgery patients in out-patient office
- Write orders for medications and treatment
- Dictate and/or document in the JUP EMR
- Work up new patients
- Return telephone calls from patients or home care personnel with clinical questions or problems.
- Perform any other clinical task appropriate to his/her level of training and ability, as requested by the attending physician.
- Participate in the implementation of Surgical Clinical Pathways to ensure quality, improve outcomes, and control costs.
- Other duties as assigned by physician
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND COMPETENCIES needed in addition to Essential Functions:
- Use a systematic approach to history and physical examination through clinical judgment of evaluated data
- Prescribes, coordinates, delegates, and evaluates care.
- Prescribes medications as indicated and within the scope of practice.
- Orders, interprets, and evaluates diagnostic tests to identify and assess patient's clinical problems and health care needs.
- Records physical findings and formulates plan according to the patient's condition to maintain complete and accurate patient records.
- Remain proficient and knowledgeable within IDX and the EMR – attend JUP update and new module training sessions
- Consistently work within the JUP quality standards in IDX and the EMR
- Utilize and remain current with the tasking function of the EMR
- Responsible to assist the physician with order entry, active problems and active medication.
- 100 percent utilization of the electronic medical record as it pertains to position responsibilities
- An essential member of the interdisciplinary care plan team.
- Plans appropriate care utilizing resources and acts as a liaison by relaying information necessary for continuity of care to other health care professionals and agencies.
- Instructs individual and/or care givers about health and health problems.
- Develops and implements educational materials and programs for all health care workers i.e. medical and surgical staff, nursing staff, nursing students.
- Participates in performance improvement plans.
- Participates in assigned committees.
- Participates and reviews research projects and paper.
- Works in a team approach with the medical and surgical staff.
- Collaborates with the research and education department.
- Performs other related duties and requests as assigned.
Master's degree in Nursing in an Adult Nurse Practitioner track
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATION:
RN license in Pennsylvania
CRNP by AACN or AANP
Must have at least 3 years nursing experience, continence nursing for two years
Attend seminars for continuing education yearly
WORKING CONDITIONS & ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Patient care areas
Contact with patients in isolation
Standing, sitting, walking, bending
Must be able to lift 40+lbs
Jefferson is an academic medical center that includes Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Health. With the commitment of more than 23,000 employees, we provide exceptional patient care, deliver breakthrough research and educate the professionals of tomorrow who will build the future of work, the future of health care and the future of education.
World-renowned for advancing groundbreaking developments in healthcare education and research since 1824, Thomas Jefferson University is composed of the Sidney Kimmel Medical College (formerly known as Jefferson Medical College) and the Colleges of Biomedical Sciences, Health Professions, Nursing, Pharmacy and Population Health. Each year, our nationally recognized faculty, who lead a number of programs boasting U.S. News & World Report recognition, educate more than 4,000 students and set the highest standards of healthcare education to prepare them to lead change and succeed throughout their careers.
Jefferson Health, our clinical arm, provides a broad range of primary and complex, highly specialized care. Through our nine hospitals (three are Magnet®-designated and recognized for nursing excellence by the ANCC), more than 30 outpatient and urgent care locations, and our NCI-designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center, we deliver an exceptional experience to nearly two million inpatient and outpatients annually. U.S. News & World Report has ranked Thomas Jefferson University Hospital among the best in the nation in 11 specialties, and high performing in two more. We are ranked second in the Philadelphia metro area and third in Pennsylvania for the quality of care we provide.
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.
Par Reference Code
This content originally appeared on AdvancingDiversity.com